- Platte County Sheriff's Office looking for missing teen
- Claims of sexual assault at the Paseo Academy
- Man wanted for murder sought by police, US Marshals
- Man opens fire with rifle in Independence QT parking lot (video)
- KCMO celebrates Earth Day with recycling event
- Demo begins on old Metcalf South mall
- West Platte High coach killed in crash on I-29
- Judge blocks Missouri's abortion-restricting rules
- Independence man pleads guilty in crash that kills Overland Park couple
- Suicide: The Silent Epidemic
Shawnee Mission Schools Superintendent to retire
Jim Hinson has been with SMSD since 2013
The Shawnee Mission school district superintendent is saying farewell. Dr. Jim Hinson will retire at the end of June.
Hinson has spent 34 years in public education, 28 of which as an administrator.
District director of communications Erin Little says the decision will allow him to spend more time with his family, and pursue other lifelong goals.
"The board, administrators and employees of this fine district have provided me with terrific support over my tenure," said Hinson, in a statement released by the district Wednesday. "I am extremely thankful for the opportunity to have worked with each member of the team. I am proud of the district and what it is today; and feel confident that the dedicated board members and talented leadership team will continue to ensure that Shawnee Mission remains one of the very best school districts."
The school board plans to name an interim superintendent at their meeting next week.